Toyota Yaris GRMN Spied With Two Extra Doors - Toyota Yaris GRMN Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Toyota Yaris GRMN Spied With Two Extra Doors

Toyota introduced the Yaris GRMN at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show and at the time of its unveiling, the hot hatch was sporting a three-door body style. Now we find out a five-door version of the Yaris GRMN has been spotted test driving around Southern Europe earlier this month.

Even with two extra doors and a regular muffler (spotted by autoevolution), the front half is a dead giveaway as the only differences between this mule and the concept are those body colored mirror caps, chrome trim and rear bumper. The five-door still has an aggressive bumper, tailgate-mounted spoiler, and a set of 17-inch BBS wheels with performance brakes.

Under the hood could be a forced-induction 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine with a supercharger, good for 205 horsepower. In the prototype, the power is sent to its front wheels via a six-speed manual transmission with a limited-slip differential. Co-developed with Gazoo Racing (Toyota’s performance division), hot hatch has already taken on the Nürburgring Nordshleife.

There has been no official release date from Toyota, but once it goes on sale, the five-door hot hatch will have compete with the likes of the Ford Fiesta ST and Volkswagen Polo GTI.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:19 PM

I will be looking forward to test both the 2 door and 4 door models just to see how it feels in terms of power, weight, weight balance, suspension, etc.

Open to getting either one. If the extra 2 doors don't impact performance then I might go that direction.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:34 PM

The extended wheel base of the 4 door will help make it feel more stable and it'll be more practical in terms of having more people in your car with the ease of entry/exit of the back seat passengers. Slightly heavier, power shouldn't change at all though.

How do you think it'll feel?
Old 06-25-2017, 02:26 AM

I assume the two door would accelerate faster due to its lighter body, but the four door may feel more planted around corners. Won't really know until a comparison review is out or you test drive them yourselves.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:13 PM

That's pretty much where my thoughts lay at the moment. Especially because this is a hot hatch and performance oriented, I'm really going to be picky about it. I really don't have such picky usage that make me need to have a 4 door so I'll go either route and be okay.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarMatey View Post
I assume the two door would accelerate faster due to its lighter body, but the four door may feel more planted around corners. Won't really know until a comparison review is out or you test drive them yourselves.
Aerodynamics are improved too due to less drag but I doubt that will matter to anyone since all that most owners will want is a sporty hatch, if they don't like the Fiesta ST then this is just another alternative.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:10 PM

I think it would matter to people because I can imagine a lot of people are going to utilizing these at the tracks and what not and you know how important aero is for them with their splitters and all of that crazy stuff.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
I think it would matter to people because I can imagine a lot of people are going to utilizing these at the tracks and what not and you know how important aero is for them with their splitters and all of that crazy stuff.
but with these largely to be daily drivers odds are that won't be nearly as important but for all we know these might come in close to eachother when it comes to aerodynamics.

might just have to get more aerodynamic parts to compensate.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:36 PM

What sort of parts do you think you'd be inclined to get ?