I love my GRMN ! - Toyota Yaris GRMN Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChrisW.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

I love my GRMN !

Well, first impressions.

This car is so taut. The gearchage is lovely, the suspension firm yet supple, and the engine has tremendous verve even while trying not to !

The seat is amazing and the ride position for me, is not a problem.

Accepted that the steering feels a little light (maybe more grippy tyres would help to load it up) .... the brakes are very linear with loads of capacity, and I love it !

People talk in glowing terms of the Renault Clio Trophy ... I owned the last one that I bought from the man who had won it in an Autocar competition (he sold it to buy back a Subaru that he had sold when he won the Trophy) ... but frankly, this Toyota is in another league.

All it lacks is the reputation in the name, and that will come.

So far, so amazing. I've shown it to friends who are used to Porsche prices ... they've ridden in it and looked at the engineering (including the Lotus bits), and they can't believe how little I paid for it.

If this reads like an advertisement ... you should hunt one out and try it, before the last few have gone.

I had almost thought of putting this one in a glass case and buying another to beast around my favourite circuits to show it off !!

Delta Integrale / RS1800 / Honda Integra .... this is Toyota GRMN territory.

Last edited by ChrisW.; 06-15-2018 at 05:36 PM.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 03:16 AM

Pretty accurate on all accounts, loving mine too. Hope they get a meet organized at some stage

BH
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 04:52 PM

Yes I agree with the description of all those key features, and I would just include that they also all blend together to make it an all round great car to drive.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 02:27 PM

How are you liking the tires Toyota put on these? I find that vehicles built to do what the GRMN Yaris does often could use a stickier set of tires. When building a street car they have to dial back on performance tier of tire.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Well the RE050 was the tyre that was fitted to the old Honda Integra I owned --- but I'll guess also that it has had a number of general updates of compound and pattern

I guess also that there could be number of answers depending upon where you want the performance optimising.

On a dry track ?

In the rain ?

I don't yet know what the chassis is capable of ... on a GT4 on Pilot Sport Cup 2's I have seen over 1.5g laterally on both sides ... but the day was nice and cool and completely dry, and the tyres were up to temperature.

My personal preference for this car would be a really good all-rounder that also performs in the wet.
smokingyaris likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 02:32 PM

Not surprised to hear that you have such positive first impressions of the car, thanks for sharing. With Toyota promising more GRMN variants across their lineup, this is certainly a fantastic first model. I expect their next trim to be on the upcoming Supra and maybe the redesigned Corolla.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW. View Post
Well the RE050 was the tyre that was fitted to the old Honda Integra I owned --- but I'll guess also that it has had a number of general updates of compound and pattern

I guess also that there could be number of answers depending upon where you want the performance optimising.

On a dry track ?

In the rain ?

I don't yet know what the chassis is capable of ... on a GT4 on Pilot Sport Cup 2's I have seen over 1.5g laterally on both sides ... but the day was nice and cool and completely dry, and the tyres were up to temperature.

My personal preference for this car would be a really good all-rounder that also performs in the wet.
Very true, although they seem to be using this chassis in rally, what we get in a street application is a different beast. Seen some first drive track videos that revealed how impressive it is already. Do you plan on upgrading suspension components as well? Good tires and a tight suspension/body goes a long way.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

I would aim to leave it standard.

It's very easy to make a good chassis worse ... unless you have the credentials of the likes of Manthey and KW who have been involved in developing the GT4 Clubsport to a higher level ...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 04:12 PM

Very true, i have seen enthusiasts that complete throw off the dynamics of a vehicle just because they wanted to increase a certain thing that the platform wasn't made for.
This is why I always liked OEM high performance builds like this Yaris GRMN.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page